What is Teacher Certification?
Harris County Department of Education provides the highest quality instruction and support for educators enrolled in our teacher alternative certification program.
Coursework sessions are conducted in classroom and blended settings with instructors who are content and pedagogy experts. Teacher candidates also spend time observing practicing classroom teachers in partnership schools before their paid internship begins.
Throughout the program, candidates are actively involved with the subject matter content and are provided a mentor at their campus. During the critical one-year internship period, candidates are supported by experienced field supervisors who assist them in content knowledge and instructional skills, leading to increased student achievement.
2021-2022 Teacher Program Admissions Timeline
- Early Bird Special* Application: May 1 – June 30, 2021 (*$100 application fee is waived)
- Regular Application Opens: July 1, 2021
- Regular Deadline to Apply: August 31, 2021
- Program Starts: September 30, 2021
We are excited to begin accepting applications to the HCDE Teacher Certification Program for this upcoming 2021-2022 school year. This year the admission process is automated which will allow you to submit the application through an online system. Below are the directions on how to start the admissions process - please read them carefully.
How to Apply
Before you click on the APPLY HERE link below, please make sure you have access to the following items/information:
- Scanned copy of your Driver’s License, both sides (you will need to upload)
- Electronic copy of Resume (you will need to upload)
- TEA ID Number, if you have one
- Three Professional References - Name, Title, Email, Phone #
- Optional: Electronic/scanned copy of your Unofficial Transcripts granting your bachelor’s degree, if you have them (you will need to upload). This will give us a chance to begin reviewing your coursework while we are awaiting your Official Transcripts. If you have master’s or higher degrees, please include them as well.
NOTE: You are still required to submit your Official Transcripts. For the details how, please see the directions in the online application system.
- Optional: Electronic/Scanned copy of your TOEFL scores, if applicable (you will need to upload)
To access our online automated application process, please click APPLY HERE.